What is a Hawkencam? It is a Frankenstein creation of old Brownie Kodak Hawkeye cameras put together in new ways. Broken parts have been patched with auto body putty, all the bad parts have been patched and put together, the front from one camera mated to the back of another camera. The camera(s) have been taken apart and put back together; lenses, view finders, cover glass, even the mirror have been cleaned and at least dusted off. The lens has been flipped over and reinstalled backwards. Another lens is added to the outside. The winder is broken so it turns backwards to no good purpose; it was broken by someone who thought it should turn clockwise, but that was not me. I go by the old saying, Never force anything photographic.
My old Hawkencam has reawakened to new life. A test roll of film has proven that IT LIVES!
Ilford 3200 ISO film was used in the studio under one flood light. An incident light reading was 80+1 on the low scale. Spinning the dials on the Sekonic light meter told me that I’d need 3200 ISO. So I loaded the camera.
This camera takes 620 film. 120 almost fits, it goes in, but it is so tight that it sticks and jumps. That is not good for the film and would surely scratch it. The film had to be rewound onto a 620 spool. There was a bump where the film is taped to the backing paper and I had to take the tape off and put it back on in the changing bag. Not easy. There are now some small light leaks along the edges of the film because it wasn’t wound tightly enough.
When the ISO is 3200, when the shutter speed is 1/40 and when the aperture is 1/16, exposure is spot on. I had only to move the lamp back. This camera is preset to 1/40 and f16.
You can change the light to adjust exposure, but you cannot change the camera. Do that by adding or subtracting colored filters or by pushing or pulling films. Choose your ISO wisely.
The camera was placed on a hard box and slid back and forth. The statue was on the floor. A tape measure was used between the nose and the camera lens. Usually. The last shot it was used between the eye and the lens. That worked, too.
Framing the shot requires a slight tilt to the camera. A CD case was put under the front of the camera. Instruction say to line up the lens by sight when close, not by using the viewfinder. Nevertheless, I used the finder. Leave about 1/4 space above the head to get it all to fit into the picture.
Film was processed in a Patterson tank with 600ML of D-76 1:0 at 10:30 and at 68 degrees F exactly. In fact, all of the chemicals were kept at that temperature.
The film was not wiped and there are some streaks. It can be cleaned more. Wiping causes scratches and they cannot be easily fixed.
The next picture is at 600 dpi. If you click on it or even the ones above another version that is larger than what is on the web page shows individually and is at a better resolution. I didn’t like the quality of the 300 ones above so loaded this 600 version. I’d scanned at 1200 but that doesn’t even fit on my iMac screen in actual pixels so there was no point in putting it up here.